Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Os - tentatious

The world of food is full of people full of themselves. I aspire to someday hold that higly coveted executive chef title in a good restaurant but if I ever wish to reach that then I must submit myself to the fact that for a very long time I will be nothing more but yet another body or, how I like to call it, just another replaceable kitchen bitch. Outside of kitchen bitches with egos the other bothersome thing is home cooks who cook fancy things or at least think they cook fancy things, yet, have no formal training or ever worked a day in a professional kitchen but still feel somehow able to put down all those other home cooks who are not up to par cooking plain old lasagna to feed their family and buying up Rachael Ray cookbooks like the apocalypse is coming and it's the bible.

In the kitchen there is only room enough for the big man's ego and the big man doesn't care if you think that sauce would be better with some cranberries thrown in. Now, in the confines of your home, there may be room enough for your own ego but you just end up sounding silly because you aren't no fucking Eric Ripert, you are still just a home cook same as the mom cooking up her kids a batch of lasagna and there is nothing wrong with that in the slightest, but, there is something wrong with an unwarranted ego and until I'm the "big man" I'm going to do my best to stay as humble as humanly possible since I am just like you, no fucking Eric Ripert.

No comments:

Post a Comment