Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Center

I guess I should take a moment to talk about my life-long relationship with meat. I never was a picky eater as a kid, hell, I ate my spinach without one complaint, but even then I knew what the really good stuff was. I'd deconstruct my lasagna with meat sauce just to get to that texture fest of ground beef where then I would have to eat every last bit of it before ever putting a fork-full of noodle into my mouth. As I got older my horizons began to expand, head first I dove into the world of meat, foie gras, rabbit, venison, bison, scrapple, pig's feet, roasted bone marrow, head cheese, raw anything, weird things plucked from the ocean. I wanted and still want it all.

As a meat eater I draw no lines to not eat something just because it is cute or because I see it before it's going to be butchered. I think those meat eaters are the worst of kinds, the ones who want to separate themselves and their consciences from the truth that the chicken nugget in their fat hands is from a chicken that was abused it's whole life and then killed (I doubt McDonald's is getting their massive chicken orders filled by local small town farmers with room to let the chickens roam outdoors in the fresh air and who feed them nothing but organic chicken feed). So, the least you could do is recognize the suffering the animal went through and be appreciative for it's 'sacrifice' that is directly benefiting you. It's when we distance ourselves from the food we are eating that we begin to forget that something died for our gain. I strongly believe that's a big mistake on our parts.

Now, I'm not saying we should all start raising and butchering our own meat again, although that would be a great way to control the quality of what is on our plates 100% of the time, but, what I am saying is that we need to be aware and thankful. We need to cherish the gift we were given by nature, the gift of meat, nurture the gift so that it may continue to nurture us. I call for responsible and compassionate meat eating, recognizing that the ground chuck in your freezer is really a dead animal, saying thanks, and giving it the respect it deserves by preparing it in the most tasty way possible.

This blog will be a blog of recipes, pictures, experimentations, rants, and stories about the love of my life, my soul-meat.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I read this and I thought of the chicken korma I cooked myself this evening.

    Taking diced chicken out of my freezer in the morning so it is defrosted in time for me to cook in the evening removes me so far from the animal that used to be that I sometimes don't even think that it used to be a chicken.

    A freshly prepared meal is often a different story. Especially when its on the bone. It is then that the association is clear. I think of the little lamb when i am eating sunday roast lamb shank. I don't mind that it died.

    As a child my sister was repulsed by the sight of a pig roasting on a spit. But it just makes my mouth water.

    I guess what I am saying is that I like this blog entry because I too like meat. Not as much as you though... Head Cheese sounds more like an STD than any meat product.

    Ramble comment over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramble comment appreciated.

    Head Cheese does sound gross, I know, but I've found that, usually, that is some of the best stuff out there. Maybe the people who created it decided to name it something so unappealing sounding to keep it a secret just for themselves to enjoy and know the truth. Or at least I'd like to think it's something like that. I'm a big advocate for using all parts of the animal that we can.

    ReplyDelete